Day 1

Posted: August 24, 2009 by jgrantmarshall in Uncategorized

Our adventure began by arriving at the World Cruise Terminal in San Pedro, CA, shortly before 1100. As we walked up, there was a huge line off to the right of the main doors. This line was luggage check-in, but we did not have to wait in line because a friend at work had pre-made our tags for us. Natalie was able to walk right up to the porter and add her bag to the pile. After that, we walked in the main doors and almost literally straight on to the ship after the security screening checkpoint. We couldn’t believe how fast the check-in process went!

We were so fast, in fact, that our stateroom (AKA cabin) wasn’t quite ready for us. To spend the time, we dragged our carry-ons up to the Windjammer Cafe, which is an informal buffet at the back of the ship. Unfortunately, everyone else had the same idea and finding an open table was a nightmare! We did eventually find a table and had a pretty good lunch. The selection of food was pretty impressive with everything from hamburgers to curry cauliflower (sounds gross but was the best thing I’ve eaten, so far). After lunch we headed to our room and unpacked before exploring the ship. Our room is comfortable and we have a nice big porthole above our bed. We are on deck two, so we have a great view of the ocean waves. Our room attendant is named Ernie and seems to be very attentive. Of course, when I first got in our room, I tried getting on the company internet but was unable to get on with my setup, which I was afraid of. There is wireless available, but it will cost money.

At 1615, we had a mandatory Assembly Drill to go over emergency procedures. Afterward, we had just enough time to change into our dinner clothes and get up to the Pool Deck (11) for departure from the port. We found our way up to the front of the ship to the viewing deck where we watched the captain pilot the ship out of the harbor. We stayed up front and watched LA float away.

We were assigned to Main Dining, which began at 1800 in the Topcoat and Tails dining on the fourth floor. Our waiter was Rudy (Rodulfo, from the Philipines) and I didn’t catch the assistant’s name. Dinner came in three courses and took all of the two hours that they said it would. It wasn’t exactly speedy. We both had prime rib and it was quite tasty. There weren’t enough veggies for me, so I had to request an extra salad. I was extra glad that I did, because I would have been hungry still. Now I know for tomorrow.

After dinner, we took a dip in the hot tub before watching the "Island a Go-go" parade in the Promenade. We have just ordered room service for a bedtime snack… Oh, my, it is 0015 and I’ve been up for over 20 hours for the 2nd day in a row. I just may crash tomorrow.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s